Monday, July 21, 2008

gambing in kansas

This letter to the editor was published in the Wichita Eagle Beacon, Friday, July 18. 2008.

Dear Editor:

This past weekend I visited family in Wichita and was appalled to see the amount of uncritical coverage your paper gave to gambling: three reporters and over 1,000 words.

It truly saddens me what has happened to Kansas since I left in 1969 with my graduate degree.

Gambling my Midwestern friends is not economic development. Gambling preys on those less fortunate folks who already cannot provide for themselves. Gambling destroys families Gambling buys local politicians like so many sacks of wheat. Gambling leaves a pittance behind temporarily and takes the lion's share of the profits to Las Vegas.

I urge all those who voted to keep organized gambling out of Wichita to join with their neighbors in Mulvane and Wellington to oppose gambling with every fiber of their bodies. For Gambling like a buzzard will suck the last morsel off the bones of a decaying and dying community. .Just come visit Louisiana last in everything good and first in everything bad if you don’t believe it.

No comments: